July 1, 2010

Student Perspective on Trip to Morazán

Student Jeannette Diangson (B.A., May 2010) commented on the trip to Morazán:

The two-day trip was great. The LONG car ride was not comfortable. But our time spent in Morazán was awesome. There were a few highs. The five-person cabin and bonding with the classmates was probably one of my highs. We had a moment to reflect on our time here and really think how lucky we are. The second high would be going to the town of El Mozote and playing soccer with the kids. These kids were entertained with an old, beat up soccer ball and a patch of dirt. When I compare that to kids in the States who have everything they could possibly ever need, and they're still bored and asking for more, seeing those kids made me realize how little people need to survive and enjoy life.

What I'll take back to the States is more awareness. More awareness of countries' fatal pasts that aren't always justified. Learning the history of El Mozote saddens my heart, but also inspires me to learn more and do what I can to help others in situations that they can't handle. Obviously, I can't stop a war all by myself, but I can be more informed and vote/protest against things like that. I just admire the strength and passion the people of El Salvador have had in such devastating times.

Labels: , , ,