BECA Travels: Fabric!!!
Fabric!!!
OK, so those of you who know me well know that a blog with this title could come from anywhere – Berkeley, Oakland, Los Altos, SF, or even San Mateo. BUT this one is from Kpando, Ghana. Some of the students and I went fabric shopping here both yesterday and today. The batiks are gorgeous!!!! And there are tailors or seamstresses that will make clothing quickly and cheaply. So we bought some beautiful pieces of batik, and took them to a tailor recommended by the folks from HardtHaven. Some of the clothing will be ready on Friday. Most will be done on Monday or Tuesday. How exciting! I had two things made – a dress and a “bubu” – a traditional, long “costume” made from fabric dyed in a pattern that defines the garment. I also bought two pieces to take home and sew there. (How could I not????) I’m still hoping to see the men weave Kente cloth with their toes – but we haven’t been to the right place yet.
<< Home