BECA Travels: The Long Road Home
The Long Road Home
The flight to Amsterdam was a mere six hours. Not having slept much or well, the 11 of us left the plane in Amsterdam and then stood for awhile looking at each other, not wanting to do the next thing, because that meant saying goodby. Seven of the students had plans to stay in Amsterdam until July 2nd, and one of the group was staying on in Europe and traveling with his sister until the end of July. Finally, we did the inevitable, and the Ghana trip was essentially over. The seven headed off to their Amsterdam adventure, and four of us stayed at the gate to await our flight to SFO. I savored a latte, and we talked about our trip and about the news we had gleaned on the flight from Accra. Eventually, we went through security again to board our next flight, but KLM announced a delay. Finally, we were allowed to board the plane - a huge double-decker - and we began the flight home. After ten hours, two meal services and three movies, we arrived at SFO. The route in to SFO was past Tahoe, Sacramento, the Delta and the Bay - a glorious re-entry on a bright, sunny day.
After some sleep and laundry, we delivered the equipment back to the Cage in the BECA Department on Friday morning. (The cameras were scheduled to go out again that afternoon!) It was a great trip. After Ghana, the abundance here is startling - almost shocking. The luxuries - like flush toilets, hot showers, and washing machines - are quite easy to get used to - as is the real coffee. But I find myself thinking - more than I ever did before - about how I'm using water, and how much I use. I'm struck by the abundance everywhere I turn. It's a different world.
* * * * *
Mark your calendars now for the screening of our videos on Thursday, October 11th, in Studio One of the Creative Arts Building at SFSU. Doors open at 7:00 PM and the videos roll at 7:30 PM. Do plan to join us!
The flight to Amsterdam was a mere six hours. Not having slept much or well, the 11 of us left the plane in Amsterdam and then stood for awhile looking at each other, not wanting to do the next thing, because that meant saying goodby. Seven of the students had plans to stay in Amsterdam until July 2nd, and one of the group was staying on in Europe and traveling with his sister until the end of July. Finally, we did the inevitable, and the Ghana trip was essentially over. The seven headed off to their Amsterdam adventure, and four of us stayed at the gate to await our flight to SFO. I savored a latte, and we talked about our trip and about the news we had gleaned on the flight from Accra. Eventually, we went through security again to board our next flight, but KLM announced a delay. Finally, we were allowed to board the plane - a huge double-decker - and we began the flight home. After ten hours, two meal services and three movies, we arrived at SFO. The route in to SFO was past Tahoe, Sacramento, the Delta and the Bay - a glorious re-entry on a bright, sunny day.
After some sleep and laundry, we delivered the equipment back to the Cage in the BECA Department on Friday morning. (The cameras were scheduled to go out again that afternoon!) It was a great trip. After Ghana, the abundance here is startling - almost shocking. The luxuries - like flush toilets, hot showers, and washing machines - are quite easy to get used to - as is the real coffee. But I find myself thinking - more than I ever did before - about how I'm using water, and how much I use. I'm struck by the abundance everywhere I turn. It's a different world.
* * * * *
Mark your calendars now for the screening of our videos on Thursday, October 11th, in Studio One of the Creative Arts Building at SFSU. Doors open at 7:00 PM and the videos roll at 7:30 PM. Do plan to join us!
<< Home